We received Excellence in Literature - English I: Introduction to Literature. The EIL curriculum series are each college-prep courses. English I is the college-prep literature and composition course where "students will gain an understanding of the development of literature and will practice the skills of close literary analysis through essays, approach papers, and other evaluative writing" (everyday-education).
- Understand the process of writing, including the use of tools such as a writer’s handbook, dictionary, and thesaurus.
- Have specific understanding of selected representative texts by major authors of the periods studied.
- Have a general understanding of the historical and cultural contexts of the works.
- Be able to analyze literary texts and present thoughtfully developed ideas in writing.
- Demonstrate competence in essay organization, style, and mechanics.
What makes EIL special?
- Your student will be able to read carefully chosen classical pieces
- The lessons are self directed
- There are week by week lesson plans
- Evaluation rubrics are offered to guide you through the grading process
- An Honors option is available to possibly earn college credit
As I have indicated above, I am impressed with the depth and thought that was put into the creation of Excellence in Literature. Though we have not had the course for long, my daughter has enjoyed reading the short stories that were chosen (you don't even have to go search for them, as there are links to each of them). The lessons map out each step for her (mostly) and there are sample papers that she was able to use as reference. The only thing that she didn't like so far was the first short story The White Heron. She thought it was "too depressing". She didn't like the, as she put it "lose-lose scenario". But I thought it was a good story and I am sure if she re-reads it, she'll gain a different outlook of it. Do consider, though, that she is 15 and does like happy endings - for everybody.
You can purchase EIL - English 1: Introduction to Literature for $29 (hard copy) or $27 (e-book format). Either can be purchased through Everyday-Education. You can also purchase the entire set for $139/$135 (depending on format). If you are looking for a new curriculum or a supplement to your existing one, Excellence in Literature may be right for you. It has definitely become a great source for us.
You can read additional reviews on EIL from the TOS Crew.